2.27.2009

Vienna 1 of 6

Got up early at 6 to be ready by 6:45. We left the hostel around 7 and made it to the bus by 7:30 with no mishaps. The bus ride was not awful but it certainly wasn't fun. 4 hour bus rides are not as easy as they used to be for sure. Non stop so no chance to get out or walk around and stretch. I got really cramped and just tried to sleep most of the time.
In Vienna, the hostel was a bit of a trial to find but is really nice. We had to walk around the block to find it. We got to check in right away. We found some lunch across the street at a chinese place for about 5 Euro. That looks to be about the cheapest thing going around here. I will clearly be glad for a cheap hot meal in Prague. We walked to the main shopping street to look around and saw a cool church on the way. I got some good photos of the stained glass. The main street was cool but I wasn't really trying to do any shopping and the bookstores didn't have books in English.
On the way home we went to the Billa and got some groceries. I tried to get things to eat for dinner but we don't have a kitchen or fridge or kettle available to us, let alone a microwave. I bought a paper bag, but my mistake because it was raining and by the time we stopped at a bakery near the hostel it was falling apart. There was an amazingly cool library at the top of this building, it was beautiful inside and had lots of couches. 2 floors worth of books and a coatcheck and everything else. Looked awesome.
Everyone took a nap when we got back. I got up and went to use the internet downstairs which wasn't too bad. The keyboards are all really different here - the 'y's are where the 'z's should be and there are extra letters like the a o and u with umlauts.
I am still coughing a lit but mostly just snotting it up. Feeling better day by day but my Tesco bag is suffering for sure, it has already frayed at the edges. I think the stuff I have in there is just too heavy. I thought I was doing good by packing all in one small bag but I guess I should have just brought my backpack too. We watched an episode of The Office on Laura-Nelle's computer and talked about what we wanted to do over the next 5 days.

No comments: