2.04.2009

First Day of Class

Wednesday. Got up at 8:15 to leave at 8:30 and made it to class on time. For studio the professors handed out fabric scraps and stuff to make pincushions with. Those are due Monday. We also got paper and were told to make something 3-D. My pincushion is black and white plaid with burgundy trim and pearls for decoration. With the paper I made an oversize ruff to wear like a necklace. 
I made a ramen-like substance for lunch and they had plenty of tea and things here to drink but a lot of people went out for lunch. 
We had history of Fashion right before lunch which I mostly dozed off through. The powerpoints that Nina makes are extremely confusing and she moves too quickly through the information for anyone to write things down. Her slides consist of a couple of photos that may or may not have something to do with whatever she talks about. Then, the same photos repeat on top as she tries to put emphasis on a certain section. The lectures themselves consist of her and Ladja pretty much just talking to each other, not to us at all. They argue and correct each other, and whoever is louder wins whether or not they are correct. Sometimes they lapse into Czech, and then it all goes to hell. 
Literature at least was interesting enough. Pavla spoke much better English and her powerpoints actually made sense. I get the idea that she is the sort to talk and ramble at the beginning of a class and then rush through the "lecture" at the end. 
For dinner, Lauren and I went shopping for ground beef and mushrooms because we were making spaghetti as a group. We also made a salad and garlic bread. We think we found ground beef but there were pigs on the package which we didn't notice until we were already in line but no one cared anyway. The sauce was kind of sweet and it tasted very good overall. I believe that we are going to try and make group dinners the majority of the time.  

No comments: