2.19.2009

Tuesday and Wednesday

Went into studio late by myself. I stopped at the way in and picked up a new bag that will hold my laptop and some extra stuff so i don't have to carry my backpack every day. I feel like it makes me look like a tourist and stick out. I mostly just stayed in all day - didn't really eat much for dinner and worked on Laura-Nelle's card. Lauren and I had gone to Tesco yesterday and I got some facewash, more embroidery thread, and some potatoes. There was a movie night after class around 7 but I don't think anyone went. It didn't look like a very interesting movie from the description Dana posted. I finished the dress for my small wooden mannequin, the one that was supposed to be inspired by A Midsummer Night's Dream. It was much more difficult on the small mannequin because we don't have any curves or anything to pin into.

Wednesday
Realized I was sick again. Probably the throng of sick people around me 24-7. No one seems to cover their mouths or wash their hands ever. We waited 20 minutes in studio for Nina to show up, and when she did, she had brought her seamstress with her! We were taking each other's measurements today and even though the directions were pretty poorly written, Blakeley and I figured out we were basically the same person. Nina did not seem ok with the way I was taking my own waist and bust measurements and apparently needed to come over and do it for me. I was not super comfortable with her hands all over my waist and her talking at me in Czech, but there wasn't a good way to say, "get off me!"
Literature was interesting.
Pavla read us a ballad but then we watched these movie shorts of fairy tales that Czech children are told. The stories were actually fairly creepy - one about a witch that only shows up at noon and steals children. There was one about a dead lover who came back to claim his still living bride and take her to the graveyard with him. The last one was about a Waterman who traps a young girl into falling in the lake and then rapes and marries her. She has a child. She escapes for one day, and runs to see her mother, but the Waterman comes for her, and when she doesn't return he threatens and then follows through with killing their child.
Blakeley and I went out to find dinner since no one was doing anything at studio. The first place we tried was booked. The second was the same place we went to on Valentines' Day, but it was as if it didn't exist anymore - there were no lights on and no indication that it had ever been there. The third was a too-expensive Chinese place, and at the fourth, the hostess didn't even speak to us! We finally ended up at Putna, a mexican-esque place with a really nice waiter. We split a burrito which was delicious.
We all watched The Duchess in Lauren's room on my computer. Jess came in, too. It was fun to have all of us in there.

No comments: