2.10.2009

Bowling Day

Lit class at 11 AM, and I almost missed it. I was the last person to leave the hostel. I usually leave my door open in the morning to see who's about ready to leave and just hook up with a group on my way out. Today, though, I was counting on all the wrong people - I kept looking at Lauren and she doesn't have Literature! So I got to the metro and studio by myself, barely on time, but just in time to realize that Blakeley was right behind me! She must have left right after I did, but also been far enough behind me to not be on the same train.
Pavla is driving me up the wall with the confusing-ness. And redundancy. Our readings were due by today, but she basically read them to us anyway. She wore a wig in class and it was really confusing because I actually wasn't sure it was her today. We haven't really seen her enough to recognize her. Then we went over the questions we were supposed to answer from comprehension of the readings. Irritating. I don't see the point of asking us to spend time reading and answering questions if you're going to provide the answers right out before we even turn our versions in.
In studio we got a long piece of white fabric and draped it on the half size mannequins and the photograph and sketch them. It was fun for me but I got the impression from a lot of other people that they were looking for a little more direction of some sort.
We left at 6:00 to go bowling. Jeremy, Lauren, and I left after the main group, but we did leave Karen and John behind to wait on Dana. There was no way I was going to put my getting to bowling in her hands. When they finally arrived they said she had taken forever and second-guessed them the entire way there. The trip itself was an adventure. It truly put paid to the saying "it's not the destination, but the journey." Our journey was 10 minutes on the metro, and then 20 minutes of walking through a part of town that was clearly not tourist-friendly. As much as I complain about being in a touristy area for school, at night I much prefer it. The windows looked dark and suspicious, and no one looked friendly. We walked past one pair of men outside a shop that were definitely smoking a large joint. The path led away from the main highway and into a more secluded area of park. We crossed over a large freeway, risking our lives in the process (no crosswalk), and then climbed a mountain of steep stairs, finally seeing the hotel at the top.
3 lanes total at this little rec center in the basement of a hotel that the LAR professor apparently helped to design. Bowling shoes and 2 games later, Rima, Lauren, and I headed home. We attempted to stop on the metro near school and look for Cream & Dream but got lost near the Old Town area of Prague and it definitely wouldn't have been open at that hour anyway

No comments: