2.17.2009

A Midsummer Night's Nightmare

Awake for breakfast. Literature started out with her apologizing for wearing her wig in front of us last week. It was highly confusing at the time. We went over the questions to answer for Wednesday, but she got sidetracked and started talking about how Gaelic had just become one of the EU's official languages. The conversation soon devolved into wondering whether it was worth it for the Irish to preserve their national language.
Then she read us a poem and we watched part of a movie about it.
Studio was ... ack! We "got" our first project - the costumes for A Midsummer Night's Dream - but we ended up watching two different movies purportedly to get the feeling of the story for those who didn't know it. The first one was from the fifties and it was stop motion puppets, and then the second one was Shrek-style animation but didn't follow the original story at all and was absolutely ridiculous. It was a boring day and the room was so cold that we had to sit in. On top of everything else, Ladja kept skipping through parts of the movie which made it worse to understand, I'm sure, and he kept talking through the whole thing but he would say the wrong person at the time and confuse people. Why we couldn't have just read the Sparknotes or been given a summary, I don't understand. And there was no allowance made at all for people who already knew it -I own the play, I've read it several times - I was freaking IN THE PLAY in fifth grade!! It was ridiculous. We weren't told our characters or get any guidance on fabric stores at all - we were told we'd "do that later."
Lauren and I had some free time later on and we looked up a fabric store. It also sold yarn. We went after class and found it. It was very expensive fabric - appropriate for a cocktail or formal dress or coat. The yarn looked good though, and I'll probably go back for that.
I made potatoes with cheese for dinner and just chilled out. After we got home, some of us went out to the American bar, 'Amerika,' that is near the hostel and had a couple beers. The bartender was really friendly and nice, and it was awesome to just hang out with everyone.

No comments: