3.29.2009

Berlin, Sunday (Day 3)

Sunday we all got up as a group and left around 10 for the Potsdamer Museum. They were having a neat exhibit on Grecian/Roman gods. I learned a lot more about how they were all related and how it related to the daily life and art of the Greeks and Romans.
We ate lunch at a sidewalk stand - bratwurst - delicious. Next to the stand was a fleamarket that went for a couple blocks of street along the Spree river, and we got some time to walk down it. I got Marie a little keychain with an elephant and myself a pretty shell ring.

We went to see the Berlin Wall, and got to see a preserved section of it as it was during the occupation with the death strip on the East side of it. There was a bit of museum across the street with lots of video and photos about the building of the wall. Down the street from it a ways was a small chapel that had been rebuilt with the rubble of the original church that was there. The original got bombed to pieces, I think. After that we went to Invaliden Park, with a "sunken" wall. It was neat to look at but not as pretty as it would have been because there wasn't any water in the reflecting pool. In the same park but different area was a little playground, and we had probably too much fun for students of which the age range is from 19 (Blakeley) to 31 (Karen). We walked around the edge of the river for a while and ended up at the Reichstag. That's where Lauren, Jeremy, Laura-Nelle, and I split off. They were going to see some more "spaces" which are par for the course for LAR students but we were cold and not interested. We walked back to the Hauptbahnhof and got coffee, and then took the train home. Everyone kept complaining about how difficult the metro system was but I didn't feel like it was that hard.

When we got home, John and Derek and I all had the same thought: cheeseburgers. We went off on our own, to the surprise of Fernando I think. I think he was a little nonplussed that anyone would rather have a cheeseburger than any more German food. We went back to Potsdamer Platz and found a Tony Roma's, which wasn't that bad for prices and delicious. Hot wings and potato skins and a good cheeseburger with cheddar cheese totally cured my American food craving. We even got Margaritas! It was a really good time hanging out with those guys. They are both grad students, and roommates here in Prague as well as back home. We got home and watched the end of the UNC-Oklahoma game. Oklahoma lost. :-(

No comments: