We arrived today around 2 PM to the hotel. The flights were mostly uneventful and it was easy to transfer with plenty of time between. I did find it really very difficult to sleep on the plane because of the lack of space - there was simply not enough room to put both of my feet anywhere. My knees started hurting a lot.
When we picked up with Eleanor and Keely in the Munich airport, it was close to boarding time. The gate had changed originally and they had gone to the wrong one. In the meantime since we hadn't seen anyone else at the gate, Blakeley and I picked up a cart and headed back to the main concourse to get an espresso and I also got a softboiled egg. Our flight from Munich to Prague was delayed a little but we had no trouble picking up our bags and getting money changed once we got there. We picked up a minibus for roughly $6 each and got a ride to the hotel.
The hotel is nice but it's very like a dorm - our room is a little larger, probably big enough for three people overall. It's just me and Karen, though, my very nice grad student of a roommate. We are pretty much agreed on how to share the space and I have pretty much unpacked. There's not much by way of things to organize with - only a wardrobe with 2 shelves and a hang space and also a little bedside table that's pretty much packed with stuff like my books and peanut butter. They don't have real peanut butter here - it's all a separated kind that apparently is really gross.
Keely and Blakeley and I went out to a little internet cafe that has free wi-fi and seems to be fairly used to regular invasions of Americans. The internet connection was great and the latte was good, but they close at 8PM CZ time. Which is kind of early. We should also get internet at the Institute, but I haven't been to see it yet.
When Bryan arrived, the three of us (him, Blakeley, and me) went to dinner at a little restaurant not but 50 yards from our hotel. Blakeley and I both had the fettuccine with chicken which was really excellent. The beer was a suggestion by the waitress who was very friendly and helpful. After we went to the grocery store and I got sugar for my tea and bottled water in a huge jug for about 40 cents.
We are all as a group pretty tired I think but we are going to try to stay up til a reasonable hour so that we get on a good schedule for tomorrow and the rest of the week. Lauren brought a deck of cards so we are playing ridiculous games.
-g
8 hours ago

1 comment:
Czechvar, it's the best.
Post a Comment