Right now, the current temperature outside is 70F. Tomorrow's high is 91F, but rainy all day. Recently the weather around Raleigh has been typical summer in NC - hot and humid during the day, deconstructing into rain and thunderstorms in the evenings for cooler nights. We've been in a pretty bad drought for the last year or so, and even with the rain we're below what the scientists call "optimal rainfall." It's hard to see the effects of the drought, though, because when it's raining every night the general public finds it difficult to conserve water.
I haven't been swimming yet, at least not to a pool. I keep thinking I should make it over to a city pool (of which we have plenty) and do some laps or something just to get in shape over the summer... and then dismissing the idea. I'm allergic or highly sensitive or whatever you want to call it to the old H2O, which makes it hard for me to want to put in the effort that swimming requires. I break out in itchy hives after taking a shower, getting in a pool, the ocean, even just prolonged exposure to sweat. To combat this, I usually take anti-histamines, something like zyrtec or benadryl. However, the drugs make me really sensitive to the sun, so I end up wearing 50 spf sunscreen. I know it's probably better for me to wear that anyway, so as not to get wrinkles, etc, skin cancer and the like, but I feel like I look leaner, thinner, prettier with a little color.
I did make it out to a lake with some friends a couple weeks ago. My friend James' girlfriend Nicole invited me out on her boat for a Sunday. The trip was a lot of fun, just a bunch of college kids tooling around on a boat for the day, wakeboarding and kneeboarding. I didn't do any of the wakeboarding, mostly just stayed on the boat except when we all got in the water. Fun anyway, though, and I really enjoyed hanging out with Nicole.
I'm going to keep working through the summer. I'm still thinking about getting a second job that's not on campus. I'll have a little more freedom with where I want to work since I'll have a car and a parking spot hopefully. There are a couple places I'm thinking of applying - mostly more defined areas. Somewhere related to the field I'm in, like an embroidery store, or a weddings/interior decorating company.
I do plan to take a vacation. Some of my dad's family are going down to Mexico Beach, which is in the panhandle of Florida, almost directly south of Alabama. My uncle owns a house down there on the beachfront, and we're taking a week and heading down. I'm really looking forward to the relaxation time, seeing my relatives, and swimming and body surfing. This beach is really excellent because it's quiet and kind of small-town... perfect for the week before school starts back! I think it will be a great end to my summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment