I searched unsuccessfully today for a backpack pattern to sew for myself. I will probably not end up making one anyway - I'd have to order the nylon and get interfacing and that's really a hassle I can't see going through in the next month and a half.
I finished up exams last Thursday and have been sort of laying around the house trying to find temporary stuff on Craigslist - come on, get me a job! - to do for the next 40 days while I alternately freak out about leaving, try to clean my house, and pack, all at the same time as watching the Rachel Maddow Show. (Side note: TOTAL girl crush. She is so adorable and SMART at the same time. Whoa.) Watching her peel the whitewash off the last 35 days of the Bush administration's rewrite of history is hilarious and sad.
So, in 39 days, this blog will officially be "Gennie in Prague" - the address won't change but the headline will, just to clarify. Like I said, I am anxious about leaving. We finally booked my ticket last week and I am meeting my friend Blakeley in Charlotte to fly together day of. I have to find enough stuff to take with me for three months and not die. I can't pack more than I can carry in one go. I'm really not sure what to pack, except for long underwear, socks, and my passport. I've heard from a lot of people that they were glad to go in the spring because the weather got continuously better towards summer, instead of unfailingly worse to winter.
I've already realized how much I will miss while I'm gone. On a personal level, I'm going to miss Ian's birthday, Valentine's Day, and our 6-month-anniversary within the space of the first month I'm gone. As far as the rest of the world, there's St. Paddy's day, Easter, and my mom's birthday too. I've been working on making/buying Ian's gifts ahead of time. My best friend said that she and her boy would be willing to hold on to them and deliver them on the appropriate days, so it's on me to get them together. I've got a couple things going on with that, but I'm at sort of a loss cause some of this stuff isn't very romantic and I'm not sure how to give him something meaningful and yet also something he needs/wants.
Ok, my contacts are killing me. See you kids later.
8 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment